Logo

Logo

Thursday 31 March 2011

Nearing North Korea

I headed us to the capital Seoul a couple of days ago with sole intention of going for the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) tour which is the area that borders North Korea, there's a 4km gap at the border where no one is allowed to build on or live in with the exception of one village on either side.

Since I first tried to book the tour I was getting told by people that they the UN Command (at the border) wouldn't let me go on the tour for security reasons (N.Korea attacking) but I thought that surely they couldn't stop me because I'm in a chair especially after they did write a convention about my rights. Why would I be in a worse situation than anyone else? If they fired a missile then we're all screwed. If they started shooting I know I can move faster than the fat guy who was on the tour, he's a bigger target as well!

The tour was really cool and I got to explore the 3rd tunnel (100m underground) which the North Koreans dug to try and sneakily attack Seoul but it was discovered before they could use it, they say that they could have brought 30'000 soldiers through that tunnel every hour.

My favourite picture (right) of the day is at one of the bridges that actually crosses the border to North Korea because it has been given the name 'The Bridge of No Return', how fantastically evil. Unfortunately because it is such a highly guarded area (which we had to sign a declaration stating that we understood the risks of us getting injured or worse) we were unable to get off the bus for the majority of the tour but it was really good all the same just to see these places.

1 comment: