Logo

Logo

Sunday 19 December 2010

Test on the tracks

Last week I found myself going to a CRP centre in the north which could be done by bus or train and with the trip home starting next month I thought this would be a great time to get my first experience on a train over here.

I went up with Rumon who works here; it was useful to have a translator and someone to lift my chair up steps that I might come across. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the train but I already had the firm idea that it was going to be by no means an easy ride. When the train pulled up at the platform we quickly located our carriage and I lifted myself from my chair to floor of the entrance. As I sat down I noticed that the floor was wet, I thought this was strange as it was dry outside and had been for days. My eyes wandered to the door on my left. “Gents”! Gross.

I wriggled backward and Rumon lifted my chair on after me then asked me to move back so he could get on. I explained I couldn’t because people were walking past. “Just move back so I can get on” he continued. “Rumon, I can’t go anywhere. As soon as these people pass I’ll move back, just have some patience!”. Then without any warning the train started moving forward. Oh shit. I was on the train with my chair so it was hardly a worst case scenario but I would still like my bag and travel buddy to get on there with me. I saw Rumon make a fast move out of sight. I got back in my chair as Rumon popped his head round the door from the next carriage, “It’s okay Peter, I’ve got on”. That was a relief!

Rumon took the bags to our seat on the next carriage and then I broke my chair down for him to carry there as well. I dragged myself along to the seat and sat down (or up, depending on your perspective) with an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment!

The rest of the trip proved no more difficult than any other day here in Bangladesh, just transfers into CNG’s, getting around inaccessible towns and staying in inaccessible accommodation. Easy Peasy.


I’ve had 1000 business cards printed off with the ‘Rolling Back Home’ logo and slogan along with the website to hand out to people on my way back so when I tell them my story they have something to remind them to give a donation on the website. I’m still really proud of that little logo!

The best thing that has happened in the last week though was yesterday when I got my wrist x-rayed again. I’ve not been able to take it to the doctor yet but from what I can see there are clear signs of healing which I’m so happy about. This makes things simpler for me, I’ll feel more comfortable using it now and I won’t have to go into hospital for an operation when I get back that I have already mentally prepared myself for!

No comments:

Post a Comment