Logo

Logo

Tuesday 25 January 2011

The first leg

After a day and a half on buses I've made it up to Kathmandu, Nepal. The start of the journey got me a little stressed when rushing onto the first bus I got separated from my bag which a friend was holding onto. It was the second most important thing that I could lose, with the wheelchair being the first I put my passport as a very close second.

I thought that when I got to Siliguri that I might face some difficulty finding my way to Kathmandu, this couldn't have been further from reality. I got off the bus feeling good after a decent kip the night before and was immediately offered a taxi to the Nepal border. I got to immigration and 5 minutes and $40 later I had the visa stamped in my passport. That has to be the easiest visa I've ever got.

I waited for 4 hours for the next bus and that wasn't as good as the one I'd taken the night before. First I had to drag myself to the back seat and then the bus driver spent the entire 15 hour bus ride with his foot down. I was being thrown around inside the bus like salt shaker. It made sleep more difficult but not impossible, I slept in some really uncomfortable positions though. I probably should have spent the extra cash on a taxi as it wouldn't have broke the bank.

I got myself a hotel for the first night here and I'll get in touch with some couch surfers for tomorrow. I need to figure out what it is that I'm going to do for my time here now since it looks like I'm heading to Nepal on the 6th February.

3 comments:

  1. Will you be coming through Strasbourg, France?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter, just stumled upon your blog via the BBC news website. They have done a great story. I have posted a link to your blog - along with the BBC news item - on a social networking website I run for senior Indians (www.verdurez.com). Let me know if you pass through Bombay. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter,....
    Nobody will make any barricade on the way of your journey....go ahead & enjoy it.. Bring out the glory for Physically-challenged.

    we miss you sooooooooooo much.

    ReplyDelete