Logo

Logo

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Major problems early on

Last night I was feeling quite content with the way things had moved forward so far. I'd made it to Kathmandu without any problems and I was happy with this.

Sat in my room I happened to glance at my wheelchair and noticed that something wasn't right. Why did the footplate look so odd? I examined it a little closer and saw that there were 2 big tears in the frame! No. This was not supposed to happen, not this early anyway. I knew that without my footplate then I wouldn't get very far dragging my feet across the floor. I was in a slight state of panic. I was exhausted from the previous days travel and decided to sleep on it.

Today I spoke to the hotel manager to find out where someone could weld my chair back into a usable condition. They were really helpful and got me a taxi to several garages, most of whom wouldn't even attempt a repair. I found one that did try and in that attempt they took the footplate off completely, I knew this was comong so it really didn't bother me. They then decided to drill a few holes and stick in a couple of screws, it's holding well so far.

Although I wanted to go couch surfing here in Kathmandu I think I'm going to stay at the hotel, the people are friendly and really helpful when I needed to get the repair done today - what more can I ask for?

3 comments:

  1. Really wish you well and will follow you as you go. Good for you. Chin up and enjoy the trip - you are a brave guy and have my respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,

    We heard about your great effort and would like to offer you free stay at http://www.innatdelhi.com = this is a bed & breakfast in New Delhi, if you are coming to New Delhi, India.

    Please let us now via email or call us on 0091-9868140243.

    Thank you and good luck with your travel.

    Inn at Delhi Bed and Breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  3. We wish you all the best in this trip Peter - breaking frames are a problem you have to face at the best of times, but when you're away from the comforts of spares and/or easy repairs then it can be a little harder. I've been in that position myself.

    Ian - rolling round

    ReplyDelete